Thursday, August 10, 2017

Summer Vibes Books



Whenever I think of books perfect for reading during the hot summer months I think of something easy. However, I am a hard to please reader. Don't just go throwing chick-lit at me! I am pick in my easy reads.
{I just need to say that there's nothing wrong reading what I call easy books. What I'm saying is that not everyone can enjoy them to the same degree. I usually don't.}

I have long planned to read more YA. The books I've read thus far that fall into that category are few. A few weeks ago I saw Stephany mention a book repeatedly on her blog and her Instagram account. That book is Love & Gelato. Now, listen. I don't typically read books that are this easy to read. I need to be either too tired and look for something that is outside my heavy topic reading pattern, or I requested it via Net Galley because it had a pretty cover and I overlooked all the warnings in my head telling me this is not the book for me.

This leads us to my poor YA list. I have read one (or two?) of John Green's YA novels, namely The Fault in Our Stars and I loved that one. Oh, and also Let it Snow, that stories collection. That was cute. Let me rephrase: I loved the feeling it gave and that I read it during a snow storm, but I am not sure my feelings would be the same if I were to reread it. And no, I did not like the movie. Eleanor &Park is also on the YA read novels, as well as The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series (yes, ma'am, I liked this series!), The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mocking Bird and Lord of the Flies (classics, come on! and I'm not even sure these could be considered YA), A Walk to Remember, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret... and that's pretty much it. No Harry Potter, no Hunger Games, no Divergent, no the cheesy ones out there. 

To this pathetic list was added, you guessed it, Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch. I thought Lina, the main character, was stupid and intentionally so. Poor soul had no awareness of language, made embarrassing mistakes, had shocking gaps in her general knowledge of everything, but she could sure wow her fellow Americans with a hard to pronounce word or trivia piece. Please. This was in the first part of the novel. Then it grew on me. I rooted for her, for every character, it gave me the fuzzy, cheesy, summer vibe I was after in the first place. 

This wasn't the only summer vibes novel I read. Just yesterday I finished The Cafe by the Sea by Jenny Colgan. It was funny, it had a slow rhythm, it held my attention, maybe a tad too long and repetitive, but not a deal breaker. The setting of the story makes me want to pack my warm and fuzzy clothes and head to the Northern Islands of UK. Of course, I would like to eat all the food. My expectations weren't high; I was just looking for a summer read. I liked Flora. The references to Snapchat and other social media mediums made it read real and contemporary. She kept saying "Shut up!" when she had no argument in her squabbles with her brothers or Lorna - that's a real character right there!
The love part didn't interest me so much, I paid more attention to her development as a person. I liked how the novel ended, and the atmosphere it created.I forgot where I first learned about this novel I first learned about this novel from Modern Mrs. Darcy's blog, in her Summer Reading Guide. I am glad I read it. 

I am on the look-out for more books to cram in before the summer's officially ready. The Internet is talking about When Dimple Met Rishi, but I don't know... I have one or two other books on my Kindle that I think would be good for this summer vibe thing, and we'll see from there.

Nothing beats the feeling of having the possibility to read to your heart desire for two long summer months.

No comments:

Post a Comment